Courtesy of a beautiful soul, we were able to see CATS THE MUSICAL at Qatar National Convention Center (QNCC) Theater on its very first day of performance on the 1st of February 2017. In one of the best seats to see another Cameron Mackintosh’s great production aside from Les Mis and Miss Saigon (among many others), we were treated to one fantastic show that night.
As a side note, I realized there were some big things that I haven’t included on my blog especially during the first few months of 2016 when I was just starting to write and post our stories online. Last April 2016, my wife and I also watched Les Miserables during their Manila leg at Solaire Resort and Casino. It was my wife’s first time to watch a musical and it left a mark on her to look forward to the same grand scale performances in the future.
And as expected it was another splendid show! CATS THE MUSICAL which first opened in the West End in 1981, became a movie last 1998, and has been performed around the world many times – was also last seen in Doha in 2003.
The awesome choreography, the live orchestra, and that singing-dancing performances overshadowed the fixed set design and costume (which usually, someone would expect a constantly transforming stage and elaborate costumes changes). But mind you, the set was very detailed it will literally bring you a larger-than-life junkyard vibe.
Note: Click the song title for the lyrics to better appreciate the message. I also inserted video links of some of my favorite scenes for better appreciation. While these lyrics and videos are good references, there’s still no better experience than watching it live.
“Are you blind when you’re born? Can you see in the dark?
Can you look at a king? Would you sit on his throne?
Can you say your bite that it’s worse than your bark?
Are you cock of the walk when you’re walking alone?
Because Jellicles are and Jellicles do
Jellicles do and Jellicles would
Jellicles would and Jellicles can
Jellicles can and Jellicles do”
When Cats Are Maddened By The Midnight Dance
Prologue: Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats – THE COMPANY (youtube video1 , youtube video2)
- The Naming of Cats – THE COMPANY
- The Invitation to the Jellicle Ball – VICTORIA / QUAXO / MUNKUSTRAP
- The Old Grumbie Cat – JENNYANYDOTS / JELLYLORUM / BOMBALURINA / DEMETER
- The Rum Tum Tugger – THE RUM TUM TUGGER
- Grizabella, The Glamour Cat – GRIZABELLA / DEMETER / BOMBALURINA
- Bustopher Jones – BUSTOPHER / JENNYNYDOTS / JELLYLORUM / BOMBALURINA
- Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer – MUNGOJERRIE / RUMPELTEAZER
- Old Deuteronomy – MUNKUSTRAP / THE RUM TUM TUGGER / OLD DEUTERONOMY (youtube video)
- The Jellicle Ball – THE COMPANY
- Memory – GRIZABELLA (youtube video)
Turn your face to the moonlight
Let your memory lead you
Open up, enter in
If you find there the meaning of what happiness is
Then a new life will begin
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember a time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again”
Why Will The Summer Delay – When Will Time Flow Away
- The Moments of Happiness – OLD DEUTERONOMY / JEMIMA
- Gus: The Theatre Cat – JELLYLORUM / ASPARAGUS
- The Aweful Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles – ASPARAGUS / MUNKUSTRAP
- Skimbleshanks – THE COMPANY
- Macavity – DEMETER / BOMBALURINA / MACAVITY / MUNKUSTRAP / ALONZO
- Mr. Mistoffelees – QUAXO aka MR MISTOFELEES / THE RUM TUM TUGGER (youtube video1, youtube video2)
- Memory – GRIZABELLA / JEMIMA
- Journey to the Heaviside Layer – THE COMPANY (youtube video)
- The Ad-Dressing of the Cats – OLD DEUTERONOMY (youtube video)
“So first, your memory I’ll jog,
And say: A CAT IS NOT A DOG.
A Cat’s entitled to expect
These evidences of respect.
And so in time you reach your aim,
And finally call him by his NAME…..
For all of their unique qualities and differences,
he says, cats are very much like you.”
Lyrics from Metro Lyrics, videos from Cats The Musical channel
This was as much as we can get near the stage. Was also hoping to get a selfie doing a mock performance but was reduced to just taking these photos due to stage fright.
A-MUST-SEE MUSICAL EXTRAVAGANZA!
If you think that bringing very young kids might be a good idea, think again since the length (2-part-act) and the lyrics may be too overwhelming for them… and they might also distract other patrons (unless they’re used to watching such kinds). But surely, if you will listen closely to the lyrics… you will see a much deeper message of respect, acceptance, and family. Not only it is visually entertaining but also heartwarming!
CATS THE MUSICAL comes to Doha as part of Shop Qatar 2017 and will run daily from February 1-4, 2017 (see www.virginmegastore.com for timing and tickets). The show will also close out Qatar’s first shopping festival along with other comedy shows and happenings around the city.