Whether at the comfort of your home or your hotel room, there are many ways to usher in the NEW YEAR’s celebration with your family and friends in Qatar.
CELEBRATE NYE AT HOME
- Set a color theme and advise the members to wear clothes based on it. Chinese calendar declares 2018 as Year of the Dog and the lucky colors to wear are those that symbolize the element Wood (green) and the element Water (blue and black). A palette of neutral metallics (AKA, the “new neutrals”) with accents of dramatic Holly Berry red and yellow Sulfur are pantone colors expected to dominate 2018. Others may freely choose a usual theme like Gatsby, Gold and Silver or any colorful party themes and everything will just flow from it.
- Put balloons on your ceilings and cut out memorable photos of 2017 and/or your visions for 2018. It’s ideal when you tie down colorful ribbons from the balloons and stick a photo or card on its ends.
- Order NYE hats and poppers to hype up the evening. They are available in the groceries or party supply shops in your neighborhood and usually come in packs and sets.
- Prepare a nice meal for the family by arranging food deliveries or cooking your own specialties. For us, there’s a difference between the NYE DINNER and NYE PARTY MEAL. The first is the ones we eat at around 7pm and the party meal is light refreshment being shared during the countdown. It is difficult to stay late without taking food and it is definitely not ideal to take heavy meal very late in the evening. Alternatively, you can also separate the main dishes for dinner and the desserts for the latter part.
- Watch a good movie at 8pm while doing the last minute preparations. Make sure that it is interesting to the majority of your members or guests and as much as possible with light or funny story line that is just perfect while catching up.
- At 10:30pm, turn on your TV to any news channels to see different NYE celebrations around the world or catch the countdown in Burj Khalifa at 11pm (Doha Time). Since there’s no outdoor fireworks display anywhere in Qatar during New Year’s eve, we can contain ourselves by watching a LIVE NYE countdown on TV. We usually watch the countdown in UAE and celebrate an hour earlier so we can finish earlier too (since we usually have work the next day).
- Get some members to share their memories of 2017 and their plans for 2018. This may be advised to them ahead of time or may also be done randomly and unannounced.
- Do a karaoke, tune in to Qatar Radio, or play some music to dance the night away. Just make sure it wouldn’t be too loud to disturb your neighbors.
CELEBRATE NYE OUTSIDE FOR QAR 100 OR LESS
Others who don’t have time to prepare may also check out this list of NYE Dinner and NYE Countdown Party for QR100 or less. This is Part 2 of our 18 on ’18 series.
CROWNE PLAZA DOHA – THE BUSINESS PARK. Get ready for the New Year at Liquidity – 7th Floor (QR 100 entrance inclusive of one free drink). Kick off the New Year with fabulous drinks and dance hits by our special DJ guest playing commercial house music and hip hop dance music at Liquidity Lounge! For more information, call +974 4408 7777 or send SMS to 66282184.
Where to dine first? Try Papermoon Doha located at Jaidah Square just across Old Airport Road.
MOVENPICK HOTEL DOHA. Dance The New Year’s nigh away at Jazz Up Bar (QR 100 Entrance Fee inclusive of a glass of sparkling wine or beer). “Make your secret wish and get ready for a night to remember at Jazz Up bar. Festive atmosphere, welcome drinks, New Year countdown, DJ live performance”. Prior booking is advised. Call: 5589 1326 or WhatsApp +974 6692 6688.
Where to dine first? You can make a reservation at the Orient Pearl Restaurant located just at the back side of Movenpick Hotel right along the Corniche Road.
INTERCONTINENTAL THE CITY. NYE Bash on the Bridge (Entrance tickets are QR 100 per person). You won’t find another New Year’s Eve party like this! Held a the hotel’s spectacular bridge; guests who dine at our restaurants on New Year’s Eve enjoy complimentary entrance to the Bash. Not only will there be live entertainment, but the Bash on the Bridge will also be featuring a DJ and a dazzling balloon drop to ring in the New Year with a bang. Please call 4015 8888 or 7021 8803 for table bookings and more information.
DOHA RUGBY FOOTBALL CENTER. New Year’s eve at Doha RFC (Members Free, Non Members 20 QAR). Special platter deals, DJ, Live band and glass of bubbly at midnight so come on over to join the party. Call 5019 3198 for inquiries.
I'm a Christian, a husband and a father, a Filipino expat in Qatar, entrepreneur, aspiring blogger, freelance real estate consultant, lover of anything KOREAN, an adventurer.